ORIGINAL ARTWORK AND LIMITED EDITION PRINTS By ED NEWMAN



Thursday, June 12, 2014

Mapped Life

Picture of the Day
Mapped Life
Acrylic on paper, overlayed on map of Minnesota, 8"x 10"

I made this picture when my daughter went away to college. 
St. Cloud, which is located just above and to the right of the man's head, 
was a midpoint between Duluth and the University of MN Morris 
where she attended. I  chose to leave it exposed because until I began
transporting her to school I'd never been there. We often stopped in St. Cloud
for a meal, going one way or the other. The forest green area on the forehead,
closest to Morris, is symbolic of the portion of my mind dedicated to thinking about her.
The title of the piece pertains to the sense in which so much of life feels mapped out
and outside our control, even when we ourselves are responsible
for setting those events in motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment