ORIGINAL ARTWORK AND LIMITED EDITION PRINTS By ED NEWMAN



Saturday, July 17, 2010

Episode 39

Picture of the Day

Episode 39
Acrylic on illustration board, 11"x 14"

Backstory. My senior year in college I worked on a painting in which I attempted to demonstrate that the painting was "alive" only as long as it was changing. For several months I worked three to five hours a day on an eight foot by twelve foot canvas, constantly re-inventing it. At one point I covered it in sheet of newsprint and at another I wrapped it in garden hoses. At the end of the year I planned to set it on fire and ride through it on a bike, an event which never came off because the event was intended to have an audience, and most of my classmates were leaving school behind, their attention directed to new life horizons.

As the painting went through its many changes, I took Ektachrome slides until the day my camera was stolen. The pattern of black shapes here was from one of these slides. Though 36 years dormant, the ever changing painting now has a new iteration, Episode 39.

No comments:

Post a Comment